1 Corinthians 10:16-17
The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break…
I. THIS ORDINANCE IS A PROFESSION OF FAITH.
1. It was an acknowledgment of sin. Wherefore did Christ die. That He might save sinners.
2. It has an expression of faith in the good news of mercy.
3. It is also an expression of attachment to the Saviour. It is an open and bold declaration of that attachment.
4. It is an expression of earnest desire that others may share with us the purchase of His death.
II. THIS ORDINANCE IS A SOLEMN COVENANT. We renew this covenant with each other "as often as we do it."
1. We renew our covenant to accept Christ as our common Lord.
2. It is a covenant to fulfil the duties of discipleship.
3. It is a covenant of self-denial for the sake of others.
III. THIS ORDINANCE IS AN ACT OF SPIRITUAL COMMUNION WITH CHRIST. Here, if possible, more truly than anywhere, we feel that "we have fellowship with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ."
1. We have fellowship with His sufferings; being reminded of His pains on the Cross.
2. We have fellowship with His love; entering into somewhat of the spirit that led Him to lay down His life a ransom for sinners.
3. We have fellowship with His joys; rejoicing with Him in the progress of His kingdom and the prosperity of His cause.
4. By anticipation we have fellowship with His glory since they who suffer with Him shalt also be glorified in His presence.
Parallel VersesKJV: The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?