At that day you shall ask in my name: and I say not to you, that I will pray the Father for you:…
I. ITS NATURE. It is —
1. A redeeming love. "God so loved the world," &c.
2. A calling love. "No man cometh unto Me except the Father draw him."
3. An adopting love. "Behold what manner of love," &c.
4. A protecting love. Babes, children, want guardian care, "Can a mother forget," &c.
5. A sanctifying love. As we all desire to see our children grow, so our Father desires to see us grow in grace. "Whom the Lord loveth, He chasteneth."
6. An everlasting love (ver, 31.).
II. ITS CLAIMS. "My Son, give Me Thy heart." God claims our —
1. Supreme love — a love of Him above every creature whatsoever.
2. Practical love (John 14:21; 1 John 3:18).
3. Expansive love. It must embrace all God's family for His sake. Apply this in the way of —
(Bp. Montagu Villiers.)
Parallel VersesKJV: At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: