But seek you first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you.
Suppose a man should be religious for the sake of temporal advantage. Whatever a man's motive, that is the first thing. Therefore this man is not seeking first the kingdom of God, but the temporal advantages to which his religion is subservient. Do not let a poor man be tempted to think that because he is not richer, either he is not a seeker, or God is not a faithful promiser. Occasions on which we may especially urge this text: —
1. Upon the young man just entering into life.
2. The man who is passing under some temptation to compromise a principle for the sake of some worldly interest — in friendship or business. Whatever be your engagements in life, remember that you have a prior one. And in whatever relation you stand to man, never forget that you have a higher one.Keep your eye on the eternal.
1. Remember that there is a kingdom within, in which the spiritual is to reign over the carnal.
2. That there is a kingdom around you, which is God's Church, which is your foremost duty to extend.
3. That there is a kingdom coming which shall put to shame all the riches of this present world.
(J. Vaughan, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.