And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are…
1. It is a test of a man, what he is when alone with God.
2. Observe the personal words, so endearing.
3. It implies that you go to the closet for the purpose of prayer, you are to separate yourself from all outer things.
4. Take with you Fatherly views of God.
5. A Father likes to hear everything; He never refuses a secret.
(J. Vaughan, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
WEB: "When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward.