And immediately the spirit drives him into the wilderness.…
It was not a vision but an actual occur. fence between a personal Saviour and a personal devil.
I. THE CIRCUMSTANCES.
1. The time. After His baptism. Before His public ministry.
2. The place. It was solitary, dreary, dangerous.
3. The Divine agency. Appointed and regulated by God.
4. Angelic ministrations.
II. THE DETAILS.
1. To the use of unlawful means of extrication from difficulties.
2. To presumption on Divine support under self-sought dangers.
3. To spiritual idolatry.
III. ITS USES.
1. It tried His character as a man and as a Mediator.
2. It showed His power to overcome the devil.
3. It qualified Him to sympathize with His people.
IV. ITS LESSONS.
1. From the contrast between the issues of the temptation in paradise and of that in the wilderness.
2. From the instrument which was used in repelling the temptation. The sword of the Spirit.
3. From the hopes it inspires of victory over all our enemies.
Parallel VersesKJV: And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness.