For the sins of her prophets, and the iniquities of her priests, that have shed the blood of the just in the middle of her,…
1. When the teachers of the people are wicked, it is a sign that the general number of the whole people is grown far from the right way.
(1) Very shame keepeth teachers from many sins, until they be grown into custom among the people.
(2) Such teachers are usually sent of God among a people, as a special punishment for their grievous sins against the Lord.
2. The promise of God's presence was never tied to any Church or order of ministry, further than as they walked in His obedience.
3. Foul spots and gross sins may be in the face and principal members of a true visible Church.
4. When the corruptions of a Church do grow so far that the maintainers thereof proceed to shed the blood of them that withstand the same, there can nothing be looked for but desolation and ruin.
Parallel VersesKJV: For the sins of her prophets, and the iniquities of her priests, that have shed the blood of the just in the midst of her,