1 Thessalonians 5:8
But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
I. THE PERSONS.
1. Their character.
(1) They are in God and Christ (1 Thessalonians 1:1).
(2) They know their election of God — not in theory, but in fact, in the heart, by virtue of their union to Christ.
2. Their privilege. "Of the day."(1) The day itself is the gospel day (Zechariah 13), the day of the fountain opened for sin: the Lord's day, well called Sunday because of its brightness; but that brightness shines inward through the indwelling Spirit. "I was in the spirit on the Lord's day."(2) Its manifestation (Ephesians 5:8) revealing sin, salvation (Malachi 4:2), progress, Divine supplies, future glory.
II. THE DUTY: "Be sober."
1. towards God.
(1) Humble, and not intoxicated with pride.
(2) Believing, and not intoxicated with false doctrine.
(3) Truthful, and not intoxicated with anxiety and fear.
2. In respect of our enemies.
(1) Patient, and not hasty.
(2) Courageous, and not fearful.
(3) Forbearing, and not wrathful
3. As regards ourselves.
Parallel VersesKJV: But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.