For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword…
I. ITS JUDGING POWER.
1. It is living and energetic.
2. It cuts both ways.
(1) With the one edge it corrects and converts.
(2) With the other it condemns and destroys adversaries.
II. ITS DIVIDING POWER.
1. It divides the soul from the spirit, i.e., the lower animal nature from the higher, spiritual and eternal.
2. It divides so closely as to lay bare everything in man's composite nature.
III. ITS DISCERNING POWER.
1. It shows the moral nature of what is interior and hidden in mental operations.
2. It shows the moral nature of what is revolving in desire, and forming itself into volition and action.
1. The Word of God enters the conscience to convert or to smite.
2. It searches out what has hitherto lain buried in the heart, and uncovers the false and transient from what is true and eternal.
3. It opens a man to himself, so that he may know himself in his moral actions and accountability.
4. Since its powers are so peculiar, let us not resist the Word of God.
5. No one can for ever despise it with impunity.
(L. O. Thompson.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
WEB: For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.