For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish…
I. GOD IS LOVE.
1. It is singular. He first loved.
2. It is personal.
3. It is compassionate. He pities the souls that sin has ruined.
4. It is comprehensive. It extends to all mankind.
II. ITS EXPRESSION.
1. In the gift. This includes
(1) the birth of Christ;
(2) His matchless life and example; and
(3) His sacrifice.
III. ITS RESULTS. It is implied —
1. That all are lost.
2. That none need perish; and
3. That whosoever believeth in Him hath everlasting life.
IV. WE LIVE IN THE GLORIOUS DAY OF SALVATION! This should be the tidings of great joy to all people. The return of Christmas should revive our hope and rekindle our zeal to spend and be spent in the Master's service.
(L. O. Thompson.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.