Then returned they to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.…
By this is meant such meetings as are held pre-eminently for the purpose of prayer, praise, and revival.
1. The inauguration of the Christian Church was preceded and attended with social prayer. The Day of Pentecost followed a ten days' prayer-meeting of the one hundred and twenty disciples.
2. Seasons of joy or danger were marked by meetings for prayer (Acts 4:23-31; Acts 12:12; Acts 16:13).
3. Revivals of religion are closely connected with them. When Zion travails in prayer she brings forth her spiritual children (Isaiah 66:8).
4. Great movements have been originated in them. The first foreign missionary society had its inception in the meeting for prayer held by five young men — Mills, Richards, Robbins, Loomis, and Green — under a haystack at Williams-town in 1806.
II. DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEETINGS FOR SOCIAL PURPOSES.
1. The weekly Church prayer-meeting.
2. Ladies' prayer-meetings.
3. Business men's noonday meetings.
4. The week of prayer.
5. Neighbourhood or cottage prayer-meetings.
6. Conventions or convocations for prayer and revival.
III. SCRIPTURE PROMISES.
1. That Christ will make one in their company, whether they be few or many (Matthew 18:20).
2. That the prayer of faith shall be answered (Matthew 18:19; John 16:23, 24).
3. That their rewards shall be sure (Matthew 3:16).
IV. HOW MAY THE EFFICIENCY OF SUCH MEETINGS BE ENLARGED?
1. By preceding them with secret prayer.
2. By regular and prompt attendance.
3. By labouring to secure the attendance upon them of every able-bodied Church member and others.
(L. O. Thompson.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.