He that handles a matter wisely shall find good: and whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he.
I. SKILFUL MANAGEMENT. "He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good." Skilful management in every department of life is of the utmost importance.
1. It is so in intellectual improvement. The man who desires to get a well-informed and a well-disciplined mind must arrange both the subjects and the seasons of study with skill. Method is of primary moment in the business of intellect.
2. It is so in mercantile engagements.
3. It is so in spiritual culture. A wise selection of the best readings, and the most favourable seasons for devotion cannot be dispensed with if great spiritual good is to be got.
II. A WELL-STAYED HEART. "Whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he." God is the stay of the heart.
1. He is happy in his love.
2. He is happy in his policy.
3. He is happy in his speech. "And the sweetness of his lips increaseth learning."
(D. Thomas, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.