Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart on your bed, and be still. Selah.
Three thoughts are suggested.
I. MAN HAS A SPIRITUAL NATURE. It is here called a "heart." It stands for our whole spiritual being.
1. We have more proof that the soul is than that the body is.
2. We have an intuitive belief in the existence of the soul; and
3. The Bible most unmistakably reveals it.
II. MAN HAS A CAPACITY TO COMMUNE WITH HIS SPIRITUAL NATURE.
1. He can observe all its phenomena; and
2. Trace them to their causative principles.
III. HE IS BIDDEN EXERCISE THIS CAPACITY. Would he understand his own nature, let him do this. But yet more for moral purposes. For
1. We know not how evil we are.
2. We must know this ere we can seek that correction which is indispensable.
3. The correction must take place here and now.
(D. Thomas, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.