1 Peter 4:1-6
For as much then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind…
I. THIS IS THE LESSON OF MAN'S PAST EVIL LIFE.
(1) Enough of sin, because of its —
(2) Degradation to self.
(3) Injuriousness to others.
(4) Rebellion against God.
(1) Forgiveness for time past.
(2) Deliverance from time past.
II. NOTWITHSTANDING BAD MEN'S WONDER AT GOOD MEN'S CONDUCT, what Peter said two thousand years ago is true today. The thoroughly corrupt man finds it impossible to understand the Christly man.
1. He thinks his conduct strange, and so, perhaps, ignores him altogether.
2. Or he thinks his conduct strange, and is aggravated by it.
3. Or he thinks his conduct strange, and it leads him to inquire. This is the good effect.
III. BOTH CHRIST'S JUDGMENT AND CHRIST'S GOSPEL ARE FOR ALL.
(U. R. Thomas.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;