And on the day that the tabernacle was reared up the cloud covered the tabernacle, namely, the tent of the testimony…
I. THE ADVANTAGES OF ITS POSSESSION.
1. The distinction it maintains. Only Israel so privileged. Christians, you are a peculiar people, your origin is peculiar, your character is peculiar, your spirit, your desires and affections, the objects of your pursuit. You have peculiar privileges and honours conferred on you. There must be a marked difference between you and the world.
2. The guidance it ensures. Jesus is now the guide of His people. He leads in the way of truth and wisdom. How?
(1) By His example. He has gone before us in the path of duty, temptation, and sorrow. By His Word. This is our rule.
(2) By His ordinances. He sends His ministers as your guides.
(3) By His Spirit effectually.
(4) By the leadings of His providence.
3. The protection it affords. God is the Christian's hiding-place.
4. The joy it inspires. God is the source of happiness, the fountain of life.
5. The glory it confers. The presence of God is our highest, best, only real glory. This is the glory of our nation — this is the glory of our churches — this is the glory of our religious assemblies — this is the glory of our families — and this is our individual glory. But what is all that God confers here to what is in reserve? Everything shall be glorious there.
II. THE PERPETUITY OF ITS ENJOYMENT.
1. Its necessity. We always need the Divine presence. We are dependent on Him for everything. We need His providential presence and agency to continue us in being and supply our numerous wants; and we require His gracious presence for the maintenance of spiritual life and for the reception of spiritual blessings.
2. The manner in which it is ensured. This may be seen three ways. From what He has done, is doing, and has promised to do.
Parallel VersesKJV: And on the day that the tabernacle was reared up the cloud covered the tabernacle, namely, the tent of the testimony: and at even there was upon the tabernacle as it were the appearance of fire, until the morning.
WEB: On the day that the tabernacle was raised up, the cloud covered the tabernacle, even the Tent of the Testimony: and at evening it was over the tabernacle as it were the appearance of fire, until morning.