And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For your is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
I. This is an appeal to our LEADER.
1. It implies that our Father is our Leader.
2. We make this appeal to our Father with a sense of His nearness.
II. This petition comes from the fear that when, in answer to the last petition, our sins are forgiven, WE SHALL BE TEMPTED TO SIN AGAIN.
III. We thus pray because we know that our PATH ABOUNDS WITH INSTRUMENTS AND OCCASIONS OF TEMPTATION.
1. In business.
2. By the habits of society.
3. We may be led into temptation by retiring from the world.
4. We may be so led even when we feel most secure from it by communion with God.
IV. It implies a SENSE OF OUR OWN TEMPTABLENESS.
V. THAT WE HAVE NO WILL TO GO INTO TEMPTATION UNLESS IT BE THE WILL OF GOD TO LEAD US INTO IT.
Parallel VersesKJV: And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.