1 John 5:4
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith.
I. THE CONQUEST ITSELF "overcometh the world." We mingle among men of the world, but it must be as warriors who are ever on the watch, and are aiming at victory. Therefore —
1. We break loose from the world's customs.
2. We maintain our freedom to obey a higher Master in all things. We are not enslaved by dread of poverty, greed of riches, official command, personal ambition, love of honour, fear of shame, or force of numbers.
3. We are raised above circumstances, and find our happiness in invisible things: thus we overcome the world.
4. We are above the world's authority. Its ancient customs or novel edicts are for its own children: we do not own it as a ruler or as a judge.
5. We are above its example, influence, and spirit. We are crucified to the world, and the world is crucified to us.
6. We are above its religion. We gather our religion from God and His Word, not from human sources.
II. THE CONQUERING FUTURE. "Whatsoever is born of God."
1. This nature alone will undertake the contest with the world.
2. This nature alone can continue it. All else wearies in the fray.
3. This nature is born to conquer. God is the Lord, and that which is born of Him is royal and ruling.
III. THE CONQUERING WEAPON "EVEN OUR FAITH." We are enabled to be conquerors through regarding —
1. The unseen reward which awaits us.
2. The unseen presence which surrounds us.
3. The mystic union to Christ which grace has wrought in us.
4. The sanctifying communion which we enjoy with the unseen God.
IV. THE SPECIALITY OF IT. "This is the victory."
1. For salvation, finding the rest of faith.
2. For imitation, finding the wisdom of Jesus, the Son of God.
3. For consolation, seeing victory secured to us in Jesus.Lessons:
1. Behold your conflict — born to battle.
2. Behold your triumph — bound to conquer.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.