For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword…
I. THE QUALITIES OF THE WORD.
II. THE LESSONS WHICH WE SHOULD LEARN THEREFROM.
1. That we do greatly reverence the Word, as truly spoken of God.
2. That we come to it for quickening for our own souls.
3. That we come to it for power when fighting the battles of truth.
4. That we come to it for cutting force to kill our own sins and to help us in destroying the evils of the day.
5. That we come to it, for piercing force when men's consciences and hearts are hard to reach.
6. That we use it to the most obstinate, to arouse their consciences and convict them of sin.
7. That we discriminate by its means between truth and falsehood.
8. That we let it criticise us, and our opinions, and projects, and acts, and all about us.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
WEB: For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.