Woe to you, you blind guides, which say, Whoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing…
The one altar which sanctifieth the gift is the person and merit of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I. JESUS CHRIST IS THE ANTITYPE OF THIS BRAZEN ALTAR (Exodus 27.).
1. The altar typifies our Lord if we consider the use of it. To sanctify that which was put upon it, and to sustain it while the fire was consuming it. Our Lord lifts up our gifts towards heaven.
2. The place of the altar. You saw it the moment you entered the door of the tabernacle. The most prominent thought of the soul is Jesus as Mediator.
3. The form of the altar. It was foursquare; stability and endurance.
4. The materials of which the altar was made. Shittim wood, overlaid with brass; the former represents the incorruptible human character of Jesus: the latter the endurance of Christ.
II. A QUESTION OR TWO.
1. Have you always taken care to keep to the one spiritual altar?
2. Are there not some among you who have been offering to God without an altar at all? You have not respect to the Mediator in your life, and prayers, and acts.
3. Whether we have not often forgotten to attach the importance to the altar which we should have done. We must plead the merit of Christ.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!