1 Peter 5:5-7
Likewise, you younger, submit yourselves to the elder. Yes, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility…
1. The younger are to submit to the elders. Are you young in years, or in the experience of the Christian life? Be not wise in your own conceit, but be willing to receive the advice of your superiors.
2. All are to be subject one to another.
II. HUMILITY. "And be clothed," or rather, "clothe yourselves with humility."
1. Humility is a garment to be put on. And what garment is more beautiful than humility?
2. A reason is assigned.
(1) "God resisteth the proud."(2) But to the humble — the lowly minded — God gives grace, or favour, pouring it down upon them in richest plenty.
3. Humble yourselves, therefore, says the apostle, and this shall be the result: "He will exalt you in due time."
III. TRUST IN GOD; casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you. Humility is closely allied with confidence.
1. Let us look at the import of this exhortation. It is to trust our heavenly Father with ourselves and all our concerns.
2. And here is our warrant for the great privilege: "He careth for you."
Parallel VersesKJV: Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
WEB: Likewise, you younger ones, be subject to the elder. Yes, all of you clothe yourselves with humility, to subject yourselves to one another; for "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."