1 Thessalonians 3:7-10
Therefore, brothers, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith:…
I. WHAT IS THAT STABILITY WHICH ALL CHRISTIANS MUST ATTAIN. When any persons first receive the gospel so as to yield themselves up to its influence, they are said to "be in Christ;" when they make advances in grace they are said to "walk in Christ;" and when they are established in a firm adherence of the truth, they are said, as in the text, "to stand fast in the Lord." This is that stability which is required of us.
1. In the faith of the gospel.
2. In the profession of it.
3. In the practice of it. That all may be stirred up to seek this stability, we observe:
II. WHY THEIR ATTAINMENT OF IT LIES SO NEAR TO THE HEART OF EVERY FAITHFUL MINISTER. A minister stands related to his people as a pastor to his flock, over which he is to watch, and of which he must give a just account; and his solicitude about them, instead of terminating when they are brought into the fold, may be said then more properly to commence. He will be anxious about their attainment of stability in the Divine life.
1. Because the honour of God is deeply interested in it.
2. Because their salvation altogether depends upon it.
3. Because the great ends of the ministry are answered by it.We conclude with a few words —
1. Of grateful acknowledgment.
2. Of affectionate warning.
3. Of joyful encouragement.
(C. Simeon, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith: