Now the LORD had said to Abram, Get you out of your country, and from your kindred, and from your father's house…
1. God's patience with sinful men is one of His most wonderful attributes. God makes a third trial in the call of Abram. So it often is with individual men. He makes and renews His gracious offers.
2. When the hour comes for some great work of God, He always has the man ready at His call.
3. When God commands, man has nothing to do but to obey. Obedience is the highest test of piety (John 14:21, 23).
4. Genuine obedience is founded in faith.
5. The highest attainment of a Christian is a consecrated will. Learn this under the olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane.
6. Every Christian is called of God to go out from the world and be separate. This sometimes involves painful and reluctant sacrifices. Old habits, old appetites, old friends, old associations, old modes of thought and action, may have to be abandoned, and the struggle may be severe. But, "He that loveth father and mother more than Me is not worthy of Me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me" (Matthew 10:37, 38).
7. Goodness is the only true greatness. No king, or noble, or hero of the earth bears such an honourable name as his who is known in the Book of books as "The friend of God!"
(E. P. Rogers, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: