And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham…
I. THE VISIBLE JUDGMENT. "God overthrew the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah - the cities in which Lot dwelt."
1. The reason.
2. The instrumentality.
3. The reality.
4. The lessons of the overthrow.
II. THE UNKNOWN MERCY. "He sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow." To Abraham this was -
1. A great mercy.
2. A mercy granted in answer to prayer. But -
3. An unknown mercy, there being no reason to believe that Abraham ever saw Lot again, or knew of his deliverance. Learn -
1. That God always mixes-mercy with his judgments.
2. That his mercies are not always so perceptible to the eye of sense and reason as his judgments.
3. That God's people get more mercies poured into their cups than they are at all times cognizant of. - W.
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.