For to you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;…
I. A LIFE OF FAITH. This faith is —
1. The gift of God — "is given you."
2. A particular gift bestowed on a particular people, distinguishing them from all others. The Christian knows and enjoys what no one else does.
II. A LIFE OF SUFFERING.
1. Christ's life was full of it, and so, therefore, is the believer's.
2. Some sufferings he shares with the humanity to which he belongs,
3. Some trials are peculiar to the Christian arising from
(2) the inherent difficulty of the Christian life;
(3) profession before the world;
(5) consistency in business, etc.;
(6) the opposition of the enemies of the gospel.
III. THE LIFE OF SUFFERING PROVES THE LIFE OF FAITH. Others are rebellious, or stoically resigned; the Christian bows out of love to Christ, and is supported by Christ in response to faith.
(J. W. Reeve, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;