And you shall number seven sabbaths of years to you, seven times seven years…
Accumulation of sabbaths and sabbatical years; climax of rest. Proclaimed on Day of Atonement. Outcome of the original covenant. Specially soul-stirring and delightful, "waked up the nation from the very center of its moral being." "All estates and conditions of the people were permitted to feel the hallowed and refreshing influence of this most noble institution. The exile returned; the captive was emancipated; the debtor set flee; each family opened its bosom to receive once more its long-lost members; each inheritance received back its exiled owner. The sound of the trumpet was the welcome and soul-thrilling signal for the captive to escape; for the slave to cast aside the chains of his bondage; for the man-slayer to return to his home; for the ruined and poverty-stricken to rise to the possession of that which had been forfeited. No sooner had the trumpet's thrice-welcome sound fallen upon the ear than the mighty tide of blessing rose majestically, and sent its refreshing undulations into the most remote corners of Jehovah's highly favoured land." Regard it
I. SOCIALLY. An example of wise and beneficent legislation. As:
1. Security against accumulation of property in the hands of the few, to the oppression of the many.
2. Relief to inevitable reverses of fortune.
3. Maintenance of family life and bonds of natural affection.
4. Destruction of slavery.
5. Promotion of equality of condition and opportunity.
6. Preservation of hopefulness and cheerfulness in society.
7. Avoidance of litigation and social strife.
II. MORALLY. An abiding support of the higher moral sentiments.
1. Benevolence and compassion.
3. Personal liberty.
III. SPIRITUALLY. A type of realized salvation by Divine grace.
1. Proclaimed on Day of Atonement; fruit of reconciliation with God.
2. Universality of the offered deliverance, independent of human merits.
3. Promise of restored human condition - the "meek inheriting the earth."
4. The jubilee of heaven - "glorious liberty of the children of God" (Romans 8:21; cf. Isaiah 66:12-23; Luke 4:16-22; Revelation 11:15; Revelation 14:6, 7; Revelation 21). - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years.