And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more…
He went on his way rejoicing.
I. A RETROSPECT.
1. Heathenism compared with Christianity.
2. A state of doubt and inquiry compared with knowledge, faith, decision, open dedication.
3. Loneliness changed into fellowship; some one helping and guiding; remembered instructions, and opened Scripture.
II. A PROSPECT. The way of rejoicing opened.
1. Sense of reconciliation. Inward peace. Joy "springing up as a well of water into everlasting, life."
2. Hopes for himself and for others. He was carrying the gospel to his home, to his duties, his anxieties, his sovereign, his fellow-countrymen.
3. A baptized man rejoicing in the sense of Divine approval of his conscience and a new position in life. We get rid of much difficulty both within and without by public confession of Christ. We draw round our souls the visible tokens of Divine presence and favor. We associate ourselves with God's people in every age, and feel that our way is -
"The way the holy prophets went -
God's highway from banishment." Recognize the turning-point. Take the straight road that leads through a joyful obedience to glory. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.