Genesis 17:1, 2
And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said to him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me…
I. COMMENCING WITH GRACIOUS APPEARANCE OF GOD TO HIS CREATURE.
1. The revelation one in a continued series of-progressive manifestations.
2. Accompanied with direct promise, which in the form of covenant appeals to reciprocal fellowship and confidence.
3. Embracing both present and future blessedness. The blessing upon the earthly lot, as preparatory to the higher blessedness, a foundation on which the higher life is built up.
II. THE METHOD of the life of faith. Walk before me; be perfect, &c.
1. Constant reference to God - his will, his truth, his covenant.
2. Distinction from the world. Abram the pilgrim. Walk among the heathen, and yet before me. The consciousness of a chosen aim a great preservative. The sustaining favor of God. Development of the Divine in the human.
3. A life which is worked out as a trust for others. The representative man holds a special position towards God not for his own sake alone, but as the depositary of the blessing. Great help to walk before God and be perfect, that we are called to be the channel through which blessings flow. Confirmation of the Covenant will be sent to us in the way, when there is lack of promise in appearances, notwithstanding the evidence of our own infirmity. We walk in the light towards a future which shall abundantly reward patient continuance in well doing. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.