But we desire to hear of you what you think: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against.
As concerning this sect, etc. The disciples of Jesus supported by his example. "Despised and rejected of men." The tendency of human thought and life to stagnate. The strength of vested interests. To be spoken against tries faith, but strengthens principle. Individually, socially, the reproach of Christ must be borne.
I. THE JUDGMENT OF THE WORLD by the manifestation of the truth.
1. The doctrine of Christ unwelcome.
2. The prejudices of party an obstacle to the spread of truth.
3. The victories of the gospel obtained by the grace of God.
II. THE DISCIPLINE OF DISCIPLESHIP.
2. Temporary. Reactions to be reckoned for. Hold on, and the world speaks as much for, as once against.
3. The life which survives the oppositions of pride and the misrepresentations of enmity is trained to a larger sphere. The sect spoken against became the orthodoxy of the future. The first enemies of Christianity were the Jews, but the opposition of unbelief was overruled to the greater victories of truth. So now the time of transition is severe discipline, but it will be followed by a time of splendid triumph when the messengers have been prepared for it. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against.