To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God…
To open their eyes, etc.
I. THE STATE OF THE WORLD WITHOUT CHRIST.
1. Darkness. Intellectual. Moral. No exceptions. The light of the Greek and Roman worlds turned by sin into grosser darkness. Superstition.
2. The rule of evil spirits. The power possessed by false teachers. The dominion of the senses. The reign of fear.
3. The condemnation of Divine righteousness. Impossibility that such ignorance should remain. The visitations of judgment. Awful calamities of the ancient world, the working out of sin.
II. THE DISPENSATION OF MERCY.
1. The preparation of light through the ages revealing the Divine purpose.
2. The advent of Jesus Christ and the lifting up of the light into the heavens.
3. The mission of the gospel through its preachers, so different from anything seen in the heathen world. "How shall they hear without a preacher?"
4. The fulfillment of the mission from age to age, add its prospects of speedy accomplishment. They are turning to the light, and all the world shall see the salvation. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
WEB: to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'