Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue to this day, witnessing both to small and great…
Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day. Times when retrospect and the grateful acknowledgment which flows from it are especially profitable. At the critical junctures of life. When a testimony for God is demanded of us for the sake of others. "Unto this day."
I. THE HIGHER VIEW OF LIFE.
1. A mission, a testimony.
2. A co-operation with the Divine work, running parallel with the line of infinite wisdom and righteousness.
3. A gracious fruit of heavenly bestowment. "Help from God."
4. A life lived by prayer, linked on to the throne of grace.
II. AN ENCOURAGING AND STIMULATING EXAMPLE. The profitable use which should be made of biography. The lessons of Paul's life. Divine strength made perfect in human weakness, Teaching us:
1. To follow the Spirit.
2. To depend upon the Divine control of circumstances and of the oppositions of men.
3. To maintain confidence and courage by laying hold of a great future.
4. To be bold in speaking for Christ, especially when we can say, as Paul could, that he "said nothing but what the prophets and Moses said." The sure ground is the written Word. To preach ourselves is to obtain no help from God; to magnify his Word is to ensure his blessing and be sustained to the end. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come: