And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.
And he brought them, etc. The family greatly honored in the Bible. Patriarchal religion the religion of families. The household the unit of the Jewish nation. All true redemption of society must be through individual conversion, but by way of natural relationship.
I. THE HOUSEHOLD JOY.
1. A new beginning. Contrast with the old.
2. A new security - both against the evils of a disordered earth and the infirmities and sins of human life.
3. A new fellowship. A family may be a Church; daily worship, common service; mutual joy, development of individuality in the light of faith.
II. THE HOPE OF THE WORLD.
1. Rapid spread of religion when household faithfulness is maintained.
2. Education is the basis of Christian teaching.
3. The young the hope of the Church.
4. The representative character of Christian profession. We cannot assume responsibility for children, but we can surround them with a circle of light. Our baptism should be their baptism, not instead of the baptism of the Holy Ghost, but in view of it. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.