And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
Parentage of great men interesting. Parental influence generally determines intellectual, social, and largely moral standing. Introducing the story of one who was pronounced by the highest authority to have no superior among his predecessors or contemporaries (Matthew 11:11), the sacred writer detains us a little with the character of his parents. View the text as a beautiful exhibition of personal and family religion.
I. A REPRESENTATION OF PERSONAL RELIGION. Their religion was —
1. Sincere — "before God."
2. Irreproachable — "blameless" (Philippians 2:15).
3. Practical — "walking in all," &e.
II. A PICTURE AND PLEDGE OF FAMILY RELIGION. What is said of one is said of "both" — a pious pair. Look at this in its bearing upon —
1. Their mutual comfort. Christian young men and women, let this be one of the first things at which you look seriously when you begin to contemplate the life. union.
2. Their domestic life. Imagine them at their rural home in the hill-country. Mutual kindness, united prayer, quiet ways of doing good, &c.
3. Their parental duties. Surely their personal piety had something to do with their selection as parents of forerunner. Personal religion the main qualification for training of children.
Parallel VersesKJV: And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.