But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.…
I. THE NATURE OF THE GOSPEL SHOWS IT TO BE UNCOMPROMISING.
1. It is founded on the Divine unity, and can never make a truce with Polytheism, Pantheism, or Materialism.
2. It displays the atonement of Christ, and consequently antagonizes every system which places salvation in any other.
3. It is revealed by one Spirit through inspired men, and therefore opposes
II. THIS INTOLERANCE IS ADAPTED TO THE NEEDS OF THE HUMAN MIND.
1. The heart craves for one allsufficient Redeemer.
2. The intellect, for an infallible revelation of Divine love.
3. The moral nature, for an authoritative lawgiver in the midst of the tangled perplexities of life.
III. THIS INTOLERANCE is compatible with diversity in the manifestations of spiritual life.
(S. Pearson, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.