1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people…
Why is this a marvellous light?
I. Because it is a light upon SPIRITUAL REALITIES. The sun can light up landscapes, but where is the light which can reveal man to himself and God to man? We need another light — a light above the brightness of the sun.
1. The gospel throws a marvellous light upon sin.
2. Upon the holiness and awfulness of Divine law.
3. Upon the elements which are requisite to a perfect reconciliation to God.
II. Because it is a light upon SPIRITUAL DESTINIES. Man can throw no light on his own future. He can but speculate and hope. The gospel distinctly deals with the mystery of time to come.
2. Rewards and punishments.
4. Service.The fact that the gospel claims to be a marvellous light shows —
(1) That the world is in a state of marvellous darkness.
(2) That the diffusion of the gospel is a diffusion of light.
(3) That all who believe the gospel should walk as children of the day.
(J. Parker, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
WEB: But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellence of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: