And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All power is given to me in heaven and in earth.…
I. THE GROUNDS UPON WHICH CHRIST ADMINISTERS THIS PROVIDENTIAL GOVERNMENT.
1. It pertains to Him as the Eternal Word, by whose immediate agency the worlds were produced.
2. As the second Adam — both Son of man and Son of God.
3. By virtue of His Father's grant.
4. Acquired through suffering and death.
5. Necessary to His government of the Church.
II. THE CONSEQUENCES WHICH FLOW FROM THIS MOMENTOUS TRUTH,
1. It gives unity to history.
2. It explains to us the intermingling of mercy with providence.
3. It gives wealth of consolation to the Christian.
(B. M. Palmer, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.