1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels…
I. Let us inquire WHAT ARE THE FEATURES OF MYSTERY WHICH BELONG TO THE SCHEME OF REDEMPTION.
1. It is a mystery if we consider the subjects of that redemption.
2. There is mystery in the mode of this redemption.
3. There is mystery in the magnitude of the accruing consequence of this redemption. The feud between heaven and earth has been adjusted by it.
4. It is a mystery, because no human wisdom could ever have devised it. It is a gem of grace dug from the deepest mine of the Divine intelligence, and lifted from the profoundest recess of the Divine compassion.
5. It was a mystery which baffled the malignant wit of devils to explain.
6. And if it passed the understandings of the dark confederacy of hell, it equally exceeded the capacity of angels to unravel its intent.
7. It is a mystery which will need eternity to explore it.
II. Observe THE APPROPRIATENESS OF THE PHRASE — "the mystery of godliness."
1. It is so, because it reveals the only basis of godliness.
2. By a belief in this we become entitled to all the blessings of godliness.
3. By its influence on heart and life it leads to the practice of godliness.
4. Because the whole redounds to the honour and glory of God. From this mystery we may learn to raise our appreciation of the greatness and sublimity of the Christian revelation.
Parallel VersesKJV: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
WEB: Without controversy, the mystery of godliness is great: God was revealed in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen by angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, and received up in glory.