And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk…
The statement of the prophet amounts to this — that the Lord bears a peculiar relation to the Church.
I. The Church is the greatest WITNESS OF GOD. The very existence of the Church on earth shows that it is a witness of God's being, providence, and redemption. This will appear if we consider —
1. The Church of God is decidedly opposed to the principles and practice of the great mass of mankind. Its creed and conduct are thought to be holy, just, benevolent, and productive of happiness.
2. A great portion of mankind have in every age and clime opposed the Church. You cannot put your finger on a page of ecclesiastical history without discovering this.
3. Still the Church not only has existed, but it has increased. I am not able to account for this unless it be Divine interposition. From these considerations we can confidently say that the Church is a living witness of God in the midst of faithless generations. May it ever be a bold, brave, honest witness against sin in all its forms.
II. The Church is the brightest ILLUSTRATION OF GOD.
1. By publishing God's. own revelations. This was done by writing, translating, and. printing. If this had not been done, we should have been to this day under the influence of Druidism. Let the Word of God have free course, and wherever it goes it will cause the wilderness to blossom as the rose, and the parched earth to appear in verdure, fertility, and beauty.
2. By imitating His moral perfections. It not only says such a being as God exists, but in effect says, Look on me, and you shall see God's character exhibited. One of the servants of said once, very sagaciously, "Plato has written a book against anger, and yet he is one of the most angry of men." Christians speak much of Christianity as a system of love, yet they are hating and persecuting one another.
III. The Church is the highest INSTRUMENT OF GOD.
1. It ameliorates the outward sufferings of the world. I believe that there is throughout the world a favourable disposition towards Christianity, because it is calculated to better the temporal condition of mankind. Let us endeavour not to contradict this impression.
2. It converts the moral heart of the world. What a noble work God has given His Church to do; what a solemn charge! The conversion of the whole world. Let every individual feel his own responsibility. Let us unite in prayer, that we may be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Parallel VersesKJV: And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.
WEB: It will happen in that day, that the mountains will drop down sweet wine, the hills will flow with milk, all the brooks of Judah will flow with waters, and a fountain will come forth from the house of Yahweh, and will water the valley of Shittim.