While he thus spoke, there came a cloud, and overshadowed them: and they feared as they entered into the cloud.…
1. From the occasions upon which this voice came from heaven; at His Baptism, which was Christ's dedication of Himself to the work of a Redeemer and Saviour, and now at His Transfiguration, to distinguish Him from Moses and the other prophets, and publicly to instal Him in the mediatory office.
2. The matter of the words show His fitness for this office, for here you have —
(1) His dignity; not a servant, but a Son (Hebrews 3:5, 6).
(2) The dearness between God and Him.
3. His acceptableness to God, who is well-pleased with the design, the terms, the management of it.
II. This work of Mediator Christ executeth by three offices of King, Priest, Prophet.
III. That though all the three offices be employed, yet the prophetical office is more explicitly mentioned, partly as suiting with the present occasion, which is to demonstrate that Christ hath sufficient authority to repeal the Law of Moses which the prophets were to explain, confirm, and maintain till His coming.
(T. Manton, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: While he thus spake, there came a cloud, and overshadowed them: and they feared as they entered into the cloud.