After this manner therefore pray you: Our Father which are in heaven, Hallowed be your name.
(1) Upon us, by the righteous executions and judgments of His providence;
(2) By us, in our thoughts, words, and actions; in our hearts, and life. Not only when we speak of the name of God, but when we think of it;
(3) When in straits, difficulties, and dangers;
(4) When we speak of the Lord with reverence;
(5) In our actions;
(6) In our worship;
(7) In ordinary conversation. Let this be your care, and let these be your directions in hallowing and sanctifying the Lord's name.
1. Be holy.
2. Study His name if ye would sanctify it.
3. Submit to His providence without murmuring.
4. Live to public ends. Allure others, and recommend God to them.
5. Be fully sensible when God's name is dishonoured by yourselves and others; not enduring the least profanation of it.
(Thomas Manton, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.