Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, Yes, has God said…
I. THE WISDOM OF THE WORLD. Among the maxims of this wisdom are these —
1. That happiness is the end of human existence.
2. That nature is a sufficient source of happiness.
3. That man's chief happiness lies in forbidden objects.
4. That God is what we fancy or desire Him to be.
II. THE QUALITIES OF SIN.
1. The elements of all sin are here — sensuality, covetousness, ambition.
2. Sin originates in unbelief.
3. It wears a specious appearance of goodness.
III. THE RESULTS OF SIN. It —
1. Transforms its victims into Satanic incarnations.
2. Reveals its own deceptiveness.
3. Covers its victims with confusion.
(J. A. Macdonald.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?