No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one…
I. THE SERVICE that cannot be divided.
II. WHY CANNOT BOTH BE SERVED.
1. Because God claims a whole service.
2. Because God claims a heart-service.
III. The GROUNDS OF A REASONABLE CHOICE.
1. Justice — God claims our service as His due; not upon contract, but natural relationship.
2. Gratitude — God has redeemed us.
3. Interest. Here mammon rests his whole case. His claim is that he offers
(1) advantages suited to our nature.
(2) That they are present. Examine his claims. They are not adapted to our nature as it ought to be. Are there no present advantages in God's service?Concerning the advantages of mammon three inquiries have to be answered.
1. Are they certain?
2. Are they real?
3. Will they last?
(T. M. Macdonald, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.