And in the wilderness, where you have seen how that the LORD your God bore you, as a man does bear his son…
I. The text supposes that DIFFICULTIES WILL BE ENCOUNTERED. In the Christian life there are many obstacles.
1. Difficulties made by ourselves.
2. Difficulties arising from the conduct of others.
3. Difficulties expressly sent by God to test His servants.
II. The text gives a command to SURMOUNT THESE DIFFICULTIES. We should encourage our fellow Christians.
1. To meet their trials with patience.
2. Steadily to fight till they conquer them.
3. To profit by them.
III. The text contains A LESSON FOR EVERY CHRISTIAN PREACHER AND TEACHER. "Encourage" —
1. The penitent sinner.
2. The young believer.
3. The well-tried saint.
(J. W. Macdonald.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And in the wilderness, where thou hast seen how that the LORD thy God bare thee, as a man doth bear his son, in all the way that ye went, until ye came into this place.