As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
I. ABHORRENT TO HUMAN SENSE.
1. We could then have no confidence in Him.
2. There would be no security for moral order and happiness.
3. No hope in the future.
II. INCONCEIVABLE. Because opposed to all our notions of Divine perfection, whether derived from revelation, conscience, or reason.
1. Either in the dispensations of His mercy or justice.
2. Because contrary to His nature.
3. Hence seeming injustice, where. ever it occurs, must be referred to human ignorance.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.