Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.…
I. MAN'S WAY.
1. Consists in zeal for God ignorantly directed.
2. Terminates in self-righteousness and unbelief.
3. Utterly fails, because Christ is the end of the law, and the law requires absolute obedience (vers. 2-5).
II. GOD'S WAY.
1. Requires —
(1) Despair of our own efforts.
(2) A humble reception of the gospel.
(3) Confession and faith.
2. Terminates in salvation.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.