1 Corinthians 1:18
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but to us which are saved it is the power of God.
Look at —
I. THE MEANS — the simple preaching of the Cross — which —
1. Is foolishness to the wise.
2. Yet triumphs over human wisdom.
3. Effects what the wisdom of this world has failed to do.
4. And in spite of the opposition of the Jew and the philosophy of the Greek demonstrates Christ the wisdom and the power of God.
II. THE AGENTS — "not many wise, not many noble are called."
1. God has chosen the most unlikely instrumentalities.
2. And made them successful through Christ.
3. That no flesh might glory in His presence.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.