As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
I. THE TEXT DOES NOT MEAN that God is not merciful to all —
1. Favours some to the disadvantage of others.
2. Is not disposed to save all.
3. Distributes His favours capriciously.
4. Saves any without the co-operation of their own will.
II. IT MEANS that God's purpose in redemption is independent of man.
1. That its conditions are fixed without the will of man.
2. That the will or efforts of man cannot supersede these conditions.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.