What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness…
I. ITS APPARENT CONTRADICTIONS (vers. 30, 31).
1. According to human judgment those who most earnestly seek after righteousness should be the first to attain it.
2. But the Gentiles who sought it not have obtained the righteousness of faith.
3. While the Jews who followed after the law of righteousness utterly failed.
II. ITS SECRET HARMONIES (vers. 32, 33).
1. The righteousness is only by faith.
2. The Jews, who sought it by works, took offence at the Cross.
3. But the Gentile, conscious of his demerit, believed and was saved.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.