For which cause also I have been much hindered from coming to you.…
I. ITS OCCASION.
1. Not curiosity.
2. But because Rome was to him —
(1) A new sphere of Christian effort.
(2) An important centre of Christian influence.
II. ITS INTENSITY. It survives hindrances, time, etc.
III. ITS REGULATION: By other claims and duties.
IV. ITS ANTICIPATED ACCOMPLISHMENT was —
1. Associated with wider schemes of Christian enterprise.
2. Brightened with the hope of profitable Christian intercourse.
3. Overruled by Providence.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For which cause also I have been much hindered from coming to you.