And if some of the branches be broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them…
The Gentile —
I. HAS NO GROUND TO EXULT OVER THE JEW.
1. The Jew fell by unbelief.
2. Privileged by His fall the Gentile only stands by faith.
II. BUT MUCH MORE GROUND FOR HUMILITY.
1. God, who spared not His chosen people.
2. Will not spare the unbelieving Gentile.
3. Therefore be not highminded, etc.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;