1 Corinthians 13:8-10
Charity never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease…
I. HOW GIFTS FAIL.
1. Prophecy must be accomplished.
2. Tongues superseded.
3. Knowledge vanish before a brighter manifestation.
II. HOW LOVE NEVER FAILS.
1. Its work is never done.
2. Its necessity can never be superseded.
3. Its expression may be perfected, but in heaven as on earth its nature is the same.
III. THE INFERENCE.
1. Love is better than gifts.
2. Should be more earnestly desired.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.