And he spoke a parable to them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:…
Riches deceive the worldly-minded —
1. In regard to their earthly felicity — for —
(1) They fill the heart with cares.
(2) They occasion much trouble and solicitude.
(3) They prove but a short-lived possession.
(4) They delude with the hope of along life.
2. In regard to true felicity; for —
(1) They can provide no true satisfaction to the soul.
(2) They sink it into utter sensuality.
(3) They foreclose the heart against any solemn care for salvation.
(4) They prevent the inheritance of better goods.
(F. G. Lisco.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: